The repair work has gone quite well. Carl and I watched several videos on YouTube to get ideas about how to proceed. We assembled all the necessary supplies and tools:West System epoxy resin and hardener
Woven fiberglass fabric
Chopped strand mesh
Beer cups and popsicle sticks for mixing
Cheap paint brushes
Random orbital sander
Drill, and bits
Wood screws and finishing washers
And then, down to business!
|This is a view of the front side fracture zone. The weakened fiberglass around the fracture has been ground out, and the hole is fairly large. The fiberglass edges have been tapered on the inside and the outside.|
|A close-up of the chopped strand mesh going on.|
|And this is what that repair site looked like once the resin had set.|
|Here is what it looked like from the inside, before applying the new glass and resin.|
|And this is what it looked like after the interior layers of glass were set, and the plywood bracing was removed.|
We're really pleased with how things have gone so far. We used two kinds of glass -- woven fabric for the first layer, and chopped strand mesh for building up the required thickness. The epoxy resin was easy to mix and easy to work with, although it did get pretty viscose after only about 4 or 5 minutes. We went through a lot of paint brushes, plastic cups, popsicle sticks, and disposable gloves.
Next job -- applying glass and resin to the exterior.