The first big job, following the exterior painting, was to fill the Ensolite seams with caulk, and then to paint the walls and ceiling. There was quite a bit of residue from past caulking jobs in some of the seams, and little bits of seam tape to be removed. Most of the caulk residue was silicone, which proved to be difficult to remove. I looked for a paintable caulk that contained no silicone and would retain its flexibility over time. I chose DAP Dynaflex 230. Wherever I could, I "injected" it into the seam, and where there was very little gap, I ran a very thin bead over the joint. Then I textured the surface using a damp paper towel. The texturing wasn't perfect, but I think the finished product is superior to the look of seam tape.
|Adding texture to the caulk using a wet paper towel.|
|The flaky Zinsser BIN prime coat, scratched with the paint brush handle.|
When it dried, I applied a coat of a different Zinsser paint -- something called "Bulls Eye 123". The label said that it retained flexibility, and would adhere to just about everything, including PVC.
|These are the paints and the caulk that I used. Warning: don't use BIN on your Ensolite.|
|Here you can see how the caulk-filled seams aren't as obvious as the old taped seams.|