The curb side has a slight outward bow to match the driver's side curve. One of the reasons why I chose not to have a completely new frame made up was that I wouldn't know if these deviations were necessary for the body to fit the frame.
And here are more shots of the welding details. You can see the rust perforations in the bottom of the C-channel, just ahead of the drop floor. The frame is upside down here.
Before painting, I took some time to grind the welds smooth in places that would be exposed, and where the excess bead was not essential for strength.
Next job: apply POR-15. I had to buy it at an automotive supply store, and it cost a fortune. It was $75 plus tax for one quart, and the instructions called for the use of "Marine Clean" and then another metal primer. I bought the spray bottle of Marine Clean at $30, but took a chance on not doing the metal prep. The instructions did say that if old metal had just been sandblasted, then you could just blow the dust off and apply the POR-15 directly. As I was spraying on the Marine Clean, it smelled just like the BBQ degreaser that I used a month ago. I'm wondering if a spray bottle of that stuff, or EZ-Off oven cleaner would achieve the same results more cheaply. Well, considering how much money I've spent so far on buying and shipping the new axle, and then on sandblasting, welding and painting, I can't be accused of being cheap!
This is the first blog I've ever done, and I'm really quite enjoying it. I'm curious about the statistics and the comments: Blogger shows that as of tonight I've had 211 page views, most of which are from the US, but there have been a few from Russia. I'm wondering what those Russians might have been looking for and why. But I haven't had any comments yet. Hmmm.